Tuesday 19 October 2010

A Kitten Under My Bed

One day I heard a faint meowing somewhere in my room. At first I thought it's just my imagination for it only lasted 3-4 times. Then I decided to play with it by replying, "meow, meow..," then it replied back!

A cat in my room which is located on the second floor? It could only be under my bed then. I admit there're lots of bric-a-bracs there, which can be potential 'home' for some insects.. but a cat?? My, my.. the level of chaos down there must have reached its peak!

So, to satisfy my curiosity, and to make sure that the cat didn't do anything dirty in my room, I had to 'dive' into the 'chaos' I've made myself under my bed. I took out some goods, searching any living thing with a flashlight. Then I found it, a cute kitten!

It still couldn't open its eyes fully and the movements were still awkward. It's already night outside and it was cold. I decided to keep the kitty in my room for a moment until the mom came. I built some simple shelter for it. The kitten kept meowing until I put my mp3-player, playing "Lullabye for a Stormy Night" by Vienna Teng near the cat.




Hah! It worked! The cat really fell asleep, so it wont do any mess while I waited the mom to pick it anytime. But until my bedtime came, the mommy cat still hadn't showed.

I thought it would be cruel to put the kitten out there, on the roof under my window on the second floor for it was cold and rather drizzly. But my desire not to be depended on was far stronger. So eventually I put the kitten out with the shelter I had made (which was added some flanel clothes for the lining and the 'door'), plus some cut chicken and fish, plus a little 'bowl' of water on my roof. Then I slept.


At 5 o'clock on the next day, I heard a constant meowing out there on my window. I looked outside, it's an orange cat, sniffing my kitten box. At first I thought the cat was trying to annoy the kitten so I decided to protect it by kept closing the flanel lid and said, "Shoo! Shoo!"

But then I remembered about waiting the kitty mom, and thus my instinct suddenly came, "It musn't be an 'ordinary' cat, it could be the mommy!" So I stopped blocking the mom from its child, but the mom still couldn't find out how to get in there. Mon Dieu, even such a simple mechanism like opening-a-cloth-lid is unimaginable to creatures like cats! Well, I had to open the flanel lid to let the mom coming through.

Then my instinct was proven right. The mommy cat started to lick the kitten and the kitten welcomed the gesture, slowly came out. They did that for some seconds, then the mom carried the kitten in its mouth, leaving my roof, jumping from another roof to another roof.

Hhh.. that's the last time I saw those cats. I wish I could leave the space under my bed to take care some stray cats, but unfortunately I still need those junks for my college assignments. It would be very annoying if you find cat's pup among the untidied goods - you have to clean the mess among the mess. And there's another issue in my personality: I don't like taking care of anything, I don't want to be clung. So from that time, I've been 'sealing' my window so it won't be able to be entered by cats or mouses.

But this kitten-entrusting experience was a new thing in my life. I felt like I was really participating in a chain of life, rather than just observing. Well, it's interesting but 'interesting' doesn't always 'meaningful'.

(to be continued..)

NB: By the way, the chicken and fish were all eaten, but I think it was the mom which ate them, not the kitten.

0 comments:

Post a Comment